Pre-operative preparation is an important part of any surgical procedure, including hand surgery. The patient should be committed to following the surgeon’s instructions as part of the preparation process. Final results in hand surgery or cosmetic surgery procedures are affected, in part, by how well the patient had prepared for it.
A well-prepared patient will be physically and emotionally fit for the surgery and having clear goals and realistic expectations. This boosts their chances of achieving high satisfaction levels from the surgery. Dr. Asaf Yalif is a triple board certified hand surgeon as well as plastic surgeon providing various hand and upper extremity procedures to patients in Atlanta, Roswell, Woodstock, and surrounding communities.
Well before the date of surgery, the patient should start working on the following aspects, and preferably have a part of this information ready even at the time of initial consultation:
- Arrange for previous health records for a review by the cosmetic surgeon or hand surgeon.
- Compile a list of all prescription and non-prescription medications, herbal supplements and vitamins that the patient may be currently taking.
- Get any x-ray, MRI scan or blood test done as advised by the surgeon.
- Reconfigure the schedule on any prescription drugs in consultation between the physician and the surgeon.
- Avoid smoking for a few weeks as advised by the surgeon.
- Complete any major or urgent tasks at the home or office well in advance, in order to have a stress-free recovery time.
- Arrange for a responsible person to transport the patient back home after the hand surgery or plastic surgery
- Arrange for aftercare, whether a family member or a professional nurse, for the first few days as needed.
A thorough preparation effort will increase the chances of a safe, comfortable, and faster recovery. Dr. Yalif receives patients from Atlanta, Roswell, Woodstock, and nearby areas for hand surgery.
A Day before the Surgery
The surgeon may provide written or oral instructions to be followed before the scheduled day of hand surgery. These instructions may include:
- Rest well and sleep early on the night before the hand surgery.
- Avoid eating or drinking for at least eight hours prior to the surgery.
- Do not consume alcohol for at least 48 hours before the surgery.
- Wear comfortable clothing on way to the surgery center. The shirt or top should preferably button in the front.
- Patients suffering from diabetes or another chronic condition should take their medications with a single sip of water on the morning of the surgery as per the surgeon’s guidance.
Mild pre-operative stress and anxiety is normal and expected, and most patients will go through it. The surgeon may prescribe a medication to keep the patient relaxed on the night before the surgery. The patient should arrange for pain meds, pillows, loose fitting clothes, and other essential items at home in advance. This will put them in a full state of readiness for the recovery phase.
For more information about the plastic surgery procedures and treatments performed by Cosmetic Surgeon Dr. Asaf Yalif please call us at 404.822.4402 or click here to schedule a consultation. Offices located in Atlanta, Roswell, and Woodstock, Georgia.